Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dara Puspita



So I was in Florida last week and happily stumbled upon a great book/music store in Seaside. One of the young men working there took notice of me immediately asked me where I was from (I guess it was that apparent that I wasn’t a local, hmm) We started discussing bands I liked and I got a feeling he was surprised by the number of different bands I had the opportunity to see this year. I forget sometimes how much I take for granted when it comes to the opportunity to see a tremendous amount of incredible music in this city, and I don’t see nearly enough. He did suggest two CDs (I know I seriously hadn’t bought a physical CD in like 3 years) one of a local artist (which I have to admit I have not taken the time to listen to yet) and one of the 1960s Indonesian girl group Dara Puspita. I started listening last week and I am sort of hooked, this is the only track in english on the whole compilation and the only one of decent quality that I was able to find on youtube, but they are pretty adorable. The influences of their favorite western bands from that time is readily apparent on a lot of their tracks, but they are definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment